[Tails-dev] Perspectives for 0.23..1.1

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Perspectives for 0.23..1.1
Hi,

A glimpse at the recent past, first: in the last eight months, we've
been busy getting a great bunch of important (both in workload and in
benefit for our users) features out of the door. It was crazy, it was
intense, and it's now done. Woo, congrats!

(Note: I'm focusing here on the "code" side of our activities. If your
work takes place in other areas, then congrats too! ... and of course
you're not tight by the focus promise I'm talking about below.)

A few of these features still have some rough edges (bridges support,
and likely we'll soon get a lot of "interesting" feedback since the
incremental upgrades are now enabled by default). But I'm confident
we'll manage to polish this in time for 1.0, without putting too much
of our energy into it.

Speaking of our energy: since 1.0 will be a point-release (killing any
remaining suspense, sorry), I think that our plan for "once 1.0 is
out" starts *now*. For the record, this plan was to stop developing
new features for a while, and focus on rolling out 1.1 in due time.

So, in the next three months, I'll personally try to basically ignore
anything that a. does not apply to the feature/wheezy branch, and b.
is not an important regression, and c. is flagged neither for 1.0 nor
for 1.1.

I hope I won't entirely succeed: I will probably manage to relax
sometimes, and to find some less-urgent thing to do here and there,
mostly in the Debian (AppArmor), infrastructure and contributors
documentation areas. But that's a strong focus I want to keep, and
I would feel better if this was at least minimally shared.

Of course, I'm happy if those of us who can't find any suitable task
for them on the 1.1 plate do various other things... but don't
hesitate asking me first, I'll be glad to help find a good task for
you:

* https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/roadmap#Tails_1.1
* https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6015

Another email will follow, asking for help on specific topics.

If we manage to keep this focus, we won't have too many branches in
a WIP status, and then this would be the perfect time for me to
convert our stuff to live-build 3.x. Motivating, uh?