Re: [Tails-dev] Where to link to contribute/how/debian?

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Where to link to contribute/how/debian?
Hi,

sajolida@??? wrote (27 Feb 2014 11:32:01 GMT) :
> I see that quite a bit of content on this page will evolve with our
> Redmine ticket.

I was careful not to do that too much, and I see only *two* links
to tickets of ours.

> What about having a category related to Debian. So we can have all
> the tickets in one listing.

I see the problem you are describing.

I don't think adding a Debian category would be sensible: the category
field expresses the area of Tails that a given task is about, not the
exact place where the problem must be fixed. E.g. #6507 should be in
the "OpenPGP applet" category, and #5484 is already in the
"browser" one.

Before posting this, I've researched if we could use tags to solve
this problem. There are a few plugins around that add tagging support
to Redmine, but they don't seem well-maintained, so I'd rather not
rely on them.

Another lead could be to add a "Debian" type of work: we already have
an "Upstream" one, which is quite awkward to use, not very well
defined, and stretching the "type of work" logics a bit too much for
my taste. But I don't see anything better we could do.

So, it seems to me that while not very satisfactory, adding a "Debian"
type of work would be our best bet for now, and let's hope tags come
in Redmine soon enough.

Thoughts?

> In the list of packages to maintain what about pidgin-otr? But you know
> better than me.

I believe this is covered by:
"Join the Debian OTR Team, that maintains pidgin-otr, libotr, and more."

> I renamed that category "Developer and maintainer, Software people with
> very diverse skills can improve Tails."

> See b468be7. Feel free to change that again.

Great! Added a link in that section, then (a6d56ba).

Now going to announce that page on the Debian -derivatives and -devel
mailing-lists.