Re: [Tails-dev] Please *do* test current devel branch (featu…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please *do* test current devel branch (featuring MAC address spoofing)
[It seems I must have marked this thread as "read" by mistake without
reading it. I only noticed it after your recent post to it. :S]

21/02/14 20:37, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've merged feature/spoof-mac into devel, but I'm not convinced that
> it's been tested by enough people, on diverse enough hardware. I would
> feel much more comfortable if at least the people reading this list
> tested it.

Right. Just to be clear: whatever testing we had for the previous round
of MAC spoof testing *should* still be valid w.r.t. testing "on diverse
enough hardware". Since then only some logic about when to do things has
changed, essentially, and the potential bugs introduced by this *should*
be hardware independent. If anything it *should* have improved slightly
since #6552 might have messed up the MAC spoofing previously, but that's
fixed now.

> The next nightly build from devel will have it:
>
>    http://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_devel/

> I assume the instructions for testing there are still up-to-date:
>
>    https://tails.boum.org/news/spoof-mac/

More or less.

Since `macchanger` apparently isn't a fool-proof way to get the
real/"permanent" MAC address, the instructions in "Verify that the MAC
spoofing setting is enforced" will fail for people with certain
hardware. I suppose a new set of instructions would be to first
determine their devices' real MAC addresses by using another OS or an
old Tails, and then compare the MAC addresses reported in Tails to that.

Also, the then known issue "No fail-safe for hotplugged devices after
logging in" is fixed. And I guess that the "active probing vs.
AdvGoalTracking" issue should have been mentioned in that section from
the start but it wasn't.

> Thanks in advance :)
>
> Also, anonym: how about posting something on Twitter about it?

Thanks for posting it!

> (... after having tested a build from devel, since I may very well
> have messed up something while merging.)

My own devel builds have worked as expected ever since your merge.

Cheers!