Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Launcher as a standalone XUL app in Tail…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
CC: Mike Perry, Mark Smith, Kathleen Brade
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Launcher as a standalone XUL app in Tails
24/02/14 16:54, Kathleen Brade wrote:
> On 2/20/14, 4:15 PM, anonym wrote:
>> Any ETA on when my patches can be reviewed? ...
>
> Feedback from Mark and myself for:
>    0001-Support-packaging-as-a-standalone-XUL-application.patch
> ------------------
> For the Makefile:
> A small issue:  Mark and I would prefer that files not be copied into
> the "src" tree during packaging.  An alternative would be to stage the
> files under "pkg" (I realize that will be more work).

Fixed. Also got rid of `--transform` which apparently is a GNU extension
of tar.

> For application.ini.in:
> Why do you have MinVersion set to 17.0.0?
> Unless for some reason you need MinVersion set to 17, you should make it
> 24.0.0. At this point, we really don't want anyone running with Gecko
> older than 24. We are going to change the minVersion in Tor Launcher's
> install.rdf file to 24.0.0 as well.

I picked the MinVersion from src/install.rdf. Bumped to 24.0.0 now.

> Feedback for:
>    0002-Split-Tor-process-starting-code-from-control-code.patch
> ------------------
> For tl-process.js:
> Mark and I prefer that the line setting mTorProcessStatus to unknown be
> left in _startTor().  Some day we may call that multiple times and we'll
> want it initialized correctly in there.  The status is initialized to
> unknown (0) upon creation so you do not need to set it in _controlTor().

Fixed.

> Feedback for:
>    0003-If-TOR_CONFIGURE_ONLY-1-only-configure-Tor.patch
> ------------------
> For tl-process.js:
> Please fix the else to be on its own line (to match the rest of the file).

Fixed.

> For tl-util.jsm:
> It would be nice if "shouldOnlyConfigureTor()" had a corresponding pref
> like shouldStartAndOwnTor() does (other people may find the concept
> useful). Perhaps "extensions.torlauncher.only_configure_tor"?

Added as "extensions.torlauncher.only_configure_tor", like you suggested.

> Feedback for:
> 0004-If-FORCE_NET_CONFIG-is-set-show-network-settings-iff.patch
> Please change "FORCE_NET_CONFIG" to "TOR_FORCE_NET_CONFIG".

Fixed.

Per Mike's request I created tickets for this and attached the new
patches (also rebased against current master), so please have a look at
#11074 and children.

Cheers!