Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Launcher as a standalone XUL app in Tail…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
CC: Mike Perry, Mark Smith, Kathleen Brade
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Launcher as a standalone XUL app in Tails
25/02/14 23:46, Mike Perry wrote:
> Mark Smith:
>>>
>>> As long as Tor Launcher more or less sticks with its current design, and
>>> continues to keep away from stuff directly affecting Firefox (leaving
>>> that to Tor Button) and only do stuff related to
>>> starting/configuring/monitoring Tor processes, I expect very little
>>> problems due to your upstream changes.
>>>
>>> Does this look like your plan for the foreseeable future?
>>
>> Yes, although I leave it to Mike (in his role as TBB chief
>> architect) to comment as well. Requirements may dictate a future
>> change in direction, but for now the plan is for Torbutton and Tor
>> Launcher to work together but maintain their distinct roles.
>
> Yes, I think it is reasonable to assume that Tor Launcher should behave
> independently of Firefox (modulo minor oversights). In addition to
> XULRunner/Tails, we want it to continue to work with Thunderbird, and be
> easy to port to Instantbird, as well.

Excellent!

> To what degree does Tails have automated testing?

While we have an automated test suite that we run on release time, we're
not quite there yet to have it run on nightly basis. To automatically
package and test the development branches of various applications (our
own, Tor Launcher, etc.) is yet another step but we do have plans in
that direction.

> Will you be able to keep an eye on 'master' and tell us if you run into problems?

I suppose that for now this will become a manual step for the Tails
Release Manager, similar to how we try to keep in sync with your TBB work.

> As far as the patches, they should have a Tor Launcher ticket to
> correspond to them. Perhaps attach them there?

Done in ticket #11074 (and children).

Cheers!