Re: [Tails-dev] feature request

Author: James
To: intrigeri, Trevor Timm
CC: Garrett Robinson, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] feature request

> 1) The ability to make the Torrc file persistent.
The reason we would like a persistent torrc file is for authenticated
hidden services. Authenticated Tor Hidden Services (ATHS) requires a
`HidServAuth random_value.onion random_value` line added to the torrc
file. Currently with Tails the torrc file is not a persistent option so
each time the journalist boots their tails (w/ persistent storage) they
need to a) set a root password b) re-add the ATHS config to the torrc
file c) service tor reload

We would like a way for the Authenticated Tor Hidden Service configs to
be persistent across reboots.
https://github.com/freedomofpress/securedrop/issues/282

> 2) The ability to easily log into a persistent storage on USB if you
> boot Tails using a DVD/CD

The problem we faced is if you boot tails off a dvd you can't use the
gui (applications/tails/configure persistent storage) to create a
persistent volume on usb stick. You get "Tails is running from non-USB /
non-SDIO device /org/UDisks/devices/sr0"