Re: [Tails-dev] feature request

Author: intrigeri
To: Trevor Timm
CC: Garrett Robinson, The Tails public development discussion list, James
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] feature request
Hi Trevor,

thank you for these suggestions!

Trevor Timm wrote (18 Feb 2014 20:00:25 GMT) :
> 1) The ability to make the Torrc file persistent.

That's probably a solution, but... to which problem?

I suspect there are other solutions to the same problem, that would
perhaps avoid creating a user support nightmare, making difficult
upgrades, and generally creating fragmentation among whatever modified
system people run and call "Tails" :)

> 2) The ability to easily log into a persistent storage on USB if you
> boot Tails using a DVD/CD

Data point: last time I checked, *if* one already has a Tails USB
stick with a persistent volume, boots from a Tails DVD, and plugs the
USB stick at the right time, then the persistent volume from the USB
stick is available. Granted, this is certainly not easy to teach, nor
to understand.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly with "log into", so could you
please describe in more details the entire user story that you would
like to make possible (e.g. "I burn Tails on DVD, then I boot from
this DVD", etc.)?

This would help estimating how much work this would be, and balancing
this with the (marginal at best, when using persistence, I guess)
security bonus it would provide.