Re: [Tails-l10n] Plural form for tr.po from tails.pot

Author: sajolida
To: Volkan Gezer, Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Plural form for tr.po from tails.pot
Volkan Gezer:

>>> I am not sure if we can change language-specific parameters on transifex.
>>
>> Do you mean that the plural form is a setting defined by Transifex and
>> that cannot be edited by the user? Actually, now I see that all the PO
>> files we receive from Transifex have the same plural form defined.
>>
>>> Maybe we can ask for them, but the correct usage is the first one I
>> guess.
>>
>> Well, the official Gettext documentation think (n != 1) is the right
>> one. See:
>>
>> https://www.gnu.org/savannah-checkouts/gnu/gettext/manual/html_node/Plural-forms.html
>>
>>> Another possibility can be uploading the source file to transifex so that
>>> it does not override the settings there.
>>
>> Maybe if the only issue is that Gettext and Transifex disagree on what
>> is the right plural form for a small set of languages, we can just
>> ignore this kind of error as well while doing our validation and be done
>> with it.
>
> ​I see, but it seems this is a global problem which is worse. Maybe the
> best is to contact GNU to change the plural form globally. This is bad.
> However, this is just a mathematical expression which does not cause a
> problem in strings I guess (at least in Turkish as we dont have 2 apples
> for example, it is still 2 apple. Only plural items without having a number
> are plural in Turkish), so better to ask someone who is more experienced
> with translations.​

So it really seems like Transifex is determining the plural form, and
translators cannot change it. According to [1], Transifex bases its
plural form on a different document that the Gettext one.
So even if they can slightly differ, let's trust them not to be totally
wrong.

I fixed our PO checking script to ignore this error with commit 3808b25.

[1]: https://bitbucket.org/indifex/transifex/issue/26/turkish-plural-forms