Re: [mat-dev] Regarding archives support

Author: intrigeri
New-Topics: Re: [mat-dev] (not) using uncommon terminology [Was: Regarding archives support]
Subject: Re: [mat-dev] Regarding archives support
Hi,

(Snipping everything that was fixed alread. Thanks!)

jvoisin wrote (17 Jan 2014 21:28:07 GMT) :
> On 01/17/2014 06:53 PM, intrigeri wrote:
>> About archives support: I've run mat (on the command-line) on
>> a tarball with Perl scripts and a PDF in it, and MAT tells me it was
>> successfully cleaned, while only the PDF is in the resulting "cleaned"
>> archive. So I guess there are some missing bits here.
> This is by design. I just documented it in 9987e61 because it wasn't
> obvious at all.

I've retried this in 0.5, and I still see no indication, on the
console output, that 90% of my files were lost in the process.
IMO this breaks a basic assumption I have as a MAT user: metadata is
removed, but creative content is kept. I really think I should be
informed whenever this assumption is broken for whatever reason.

I'm seeing another bug in this area, that I'll report to
Redmine soonish.

>> Also, the OK button text should be something more specific, such as
>> "Scour" (since it's apparently the new terminology; too bad many
>> non-native speakers likely don't know what this means).
> The reason of the apparition of this new terminology (Apart from
> enriching my English vocabulary) is actually to help translators.
> The MAT used to use the word "Clean", both as a verb/action, and as a
> state. Now, the action is named "Scour", and the state "Clean"

Yes, I know the reason, I was the one who reported this issue.
Aren't there ways to tell Python/gettext/whatever that two strings are
really different from each other, and should result in two entries in
the PO files, even if they are built from the same chars? If it was
possible, then it would avoid using uncommon vocabulary, which matters
very much for languages that have no translation yet.