Re: [Tails-dev] TAILS Mobile via USB or dual-boot

Author: Nathan of Guardian
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] TAILS Mobile via USB or dual-boot
On 01/02/2014 04:29 PM, Thomas Benjamin wrote:
> My R&D group has actually been doing some work along these lines.

Hi, Tom!

> One of the key issues here is that the "boot off CD" model for desktops
> / laptops translates poorly into the main model of SD card boot on
> Android devices. Most Android devices will not boot automatically from
> an SD card,

Yes, in fact, I have only known the early Nook Color devices to do this.
Are there other devices on the market that have this capability?

What I am wondering is if the Ubuntu devs have come up with a dual-boot
system, if that can be modified to load a system image from an SD or USB
storage system. Perhaps it is also something CyanogenMod could support.
I will need to ask them and dig into the code, but if you have any clues
that would be great.

>which means that in general traces must be left on the phone
> (we are currently just working with phones) of the fact that you use /
> have used Tails. We can ensure that anything that happens during a
> Tails session is encrypted before it can touch persistent store, but we
> want the same level of deniability offered by CD or USB boot on a
> laptop. If possible on an un-rooted phone even.

Right, and again that was what made the Nook so awesome. You didn't even
have to root, I believe.

For now, I am willing to give up on deniability, as long as we can match
the security of the Tails session itself.

> On the same note: If someone has or wants to build a list of devices
> that will automatically boot from SD card if it is inserted, or if some
> magic key combination is pressed during boot, I would be insanely happy.
> I think we have part of such a list which is one of the things I want
> to open up when I can. I know there are some, but we want to build a
> solution for a broader range of devices, and it seems like auto-SD boot
> is rare on phones.

Yes, see my earlier comments. I will see if we can start a list on our wiki.

Thanks for the feedback.

+n