Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/monkeysign

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/monkeysign
intrigeri:
> Merged

I push a minor documentation fix with commit f0762cd. Shall I merge it
myself?

>> even if this might need a bit of documentationi though, as
>> monkeysign errors out with a backtrace if one don't use the --no-mail
>> option, as there is no /usr/sbin/sendmail in Tails. But the signature is
>> added to the key still.
>
>> When using the --no-mail option, it outputs quite a lengthy mail, with
>> mime headers and all, but that isn't really possible to use it in
>> claws-mail, as you can't edit the email source. Best is probably to just
>> paste the pgp public key bloc part of it into a new mail.
>
> Doesn't piping it to Mutt work?
>
> monkeysign currently being command-line only, I was thinking more of
> Mutt users than Claws Mail's ones when I thought we wanted this in
> Tails. Hopefully this will change at some point.

Note that monkeysign also includes and graphical tool for fingerprint
scanning: monkeyscan; with QR codes and all :)

> Regarding the need for documentation, well, I don't think this would
> be a good use of our time. I expect that the kind of public that's
> addressed by a command-line only piece of software will know what to
> do with its output and manpage. Writing monkeysign documentation for
> newbies seems very hard a task to me, and I doubt more than a handful
> of people would benefit from it. If someone wants to make monkeysign
> better suited for other kinds of users, IMHO they should instead write
> a GUI for it, or (even better) integrate it into Seahorse,
> or something.

Agreed. I admit it is sometimes a bit blurry but our position was to
only document on our website things that were specific to Tails (see the
Pidgin and OTR documentation for example). So writing a tutorial on
using monkeysign is out of scope. I admin that some pieces of software
are documented beyond this requirement already (for example KeepassX)
but it is also much more advertised and a key feature than monkeysign
ever will be.

I tried to improve a bit on this by improving the visibility of the list
of included software from the documentation index. That's commit e8a33f6
in master.