Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/monkeysign

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/monkeysign
Hi,

> Merged

Thank you.

> even if this might need a bit of documentationi though, as
> monkeysign errors out with a backtrace if one don't use the --no-mail
> option, as there is no /usr/sbin/sendmail in Tails. But the signature is
> added to the key still.

> When using the --no-mail option, it outputs quite a lengthy mail, with
> mime headers and all, but that isn't really possible to use it in
> claws-mail, as you can't edit the email source. Best is probably to just
> paste the pgp public key bloc part of it into a new mail.

Doesn't piping it to Mutt work?

monkeysign currently being command-line only, I was thinking more of
Mutt users than Claws Mail's ones when I thought we wanted this in
Tails. Hopefully this will change at some point.

Regarding the need for documentation, well, I don't think this would
be a good use of our time. I expect that the kind of public that's
addressed by a command-line only piece of software will know what to
do with its output and manpage. Writing monkeysign documentation for
newbies seems very hard a task to me, and I doubt more than a handful
of people would benefit from it. If someone wants to make monkeysign
better suited for other kinds of users, IMHO they should instead write
a GUI for it, or (even better) integrate it into Seahorse,
or something.

> It's an enhancement, as it automates the key retrieval and signing
> process, but might need some more to be really usable by monkeys.

Fully agreed. I've wondered about this too while I was testing it
within Tails, hesitated, but I've eventually decided to request
a merge for it anyway. IMHO, it's mainly a long-term move: installing
it by default in Tails may be enough for us to start using it, to
discover its drawbacks in the context of Tails, and it could be
a motivating factor for $SOMEONE to adapt the software to the Tails
context. It may also make monkeysign better known, which also
increases the chances it gets better.