Re: [Tails-dev] Goals and non-goals for UEFI support

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Goals and non-goals for UEFI support
intrigeri:
> after some initial reading, thinking and experiments regarding
> UEFI support in Tails, I've come up with a first set of goals and
> non-goals I believe to be reasonable to start with.
>
> Quoting https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/UEFI/:
>
> Goals
> -----
>
> * devices produced by Tails Installer should boot on most UEFI-only
> hardware (e.g. some relevant set of Macs)
> * devices produced by Tails Installer should boot on most hardware
> that only supports UEFI boot for GPT devices (e.g. ThinkPad X220)
>
> Non-goals
> ---------
>
> * UEFI DVD boot: BIOS boot from DVD works fine on most hardware,
> including Macs; adding the files needed to have UEFI DVD boot work
> on some systems will break what currently works for others.
> * UEFI boot from hybrid ISO cat'd on a USB device: given BIOS DVD boot
> works generally fine, it's OK to require users to go this way and
> install their UEFI-capable Tails USB stick from DVD.
> * Secure Boot support is not part of this plan. Picking technical
> solutions that leave room for Secure Boot would be a great
> bonus, though.
>
> Does this make sense to you? Anything you'd like to see changed?

If I understand correctly this means that to bootstrap a Tails USB stick
you still need to go through BIOS somehow, either:

- A Tails DVD booting on BIOS (we assume this is most common for DVDs).
- A Tails USB stick manually installed booting on BIOS.

If you only have USB and can only do UEFI, then you are screwed. Still,
this looks like a reasonable requirement.

Good job!