[Tails-dev] Goals and non-goals for UEFI support

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Goals and non-goals for UEFI support
Hi,

after some initial reading, thinking and experiments regarding
UEFI support in Tails, I've come up with a first set of goals and
non-goals I believe to be reasonable to start with.

Quoting https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/UEFI/:

Goals
-----

* devices produced by Tails Installer should boot on most UEFI-only
hardware (e.g. some relevant set of Macs)
* devices produced by Tails Installer should boot on most hardware
that only supports UEFI boot for GPT devices (e.g. ThinkPad X220)

Non-goals
---------

* UEFI DVD boot: BIOS boot from DVD works fine on most hardware,
including Macs; adding the files needed to have UEFI DVD boot work
on some systems will break what currently works for others.
* UEFI boot from hybrid ISO cat'd on a USB device: given BIOS DVD boot
works generally fine, it's OK to require users to go this way and
install their UEFI-capable Tails USB stick from DVD.
* Secure Boot support is not part of this plan. Picking technical
solutions that leave room for Secure Boot would be a great
bonus, though.

Does this make sense to you? Anything you'd like to see changed?