Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Python library [Was: Localization of h…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] Gtk issue [Was: Tails Python library]
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Python library [Was: Localization of help in the greeter]
26/11/13 16:49, Alan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 20:25:40 +0100 anonym <anonym@???> wrote:
>>> Ideally, the documentation page loaded in the greeter would be
>>> localized, if a localized version is available. We have various
>>> pieces of code that do this in Tails, and likely the best you can
>>> find for this case is in WhisperBack (since it's Python).
>>
>> Sure. This is another piece of code that'd fit in a Tails Python
>> library.
>>
> I'd be happy to participate to extract pieces of code into such a
> library.

Great! Another piece of code shared between Tails Greeter and
WhisperBack is the cb_request_starting callback used for the help
browser. In fact, I pretty much copy-pasted the setup code for the help
browser into Tails Greeter, so that code can be refactored and shared too.

Off topic: As you have a great deal more Gtk experience than me, I'd
like you to have a look at the following (originally posted in email
with msg-id <528DA114.7000702@???>) if you happen to have the
time and will at some point:

> Slightly OT: I think we're quickly approaching the vertical limit of how
> much we can fit, due to vertical resolution constraints (we want to
> support lower resolutions of course, at vertical 768, right?). For
> instance, I implemented a GUI option in T-G for enabling network
> blocking in addition to MAC spoofing (see feature/block-network in T-G's
> Git) and with it the window is getting seriously close to the limit of a
> screen with 768 in vertical resolution. I think we'll be in trouble for
> Wx768 when the bride mode option finally is added.
>
> I tried to save a few unnecessary text lines breaks by playing with the
> properties of our current Gtk.Label:s (which is used for all text we
> display), since they currently line-break really sub-optimally (and it
> gets worse for every option we add). It turns out that it just doesn't
> work -- Gtk.Label:s are unaware of its parent's size, so line-breaking
> works like shit. I gave a shot with Gtk.TextView + Gtk.TextBuffer, but
> the view was very different graphically so it didn't look good either.
> Sorry, but I give up on this. If there's a Gtk guru out there, please
> advice!

Of course, this is not only about the screen estate/space issue; the
current line-breaking makes it all look really ugly and unprofessional,
IMHO. I suppose the proper future-proof solution for fitting more and
more options will be to embed it all in a Gtk.ScrolledWindow.

Cheers!