Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofin…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails
25/11/13 21:28, intrigeri wrote:
> anonym wrote (25 Nov 2013 19:25:32 GMT) :
>> While I agree the "more options"
>> help isn't very helpful, the persistence help could at least be good to
>> have available for the read-only option, which users might forget the
>> exact behavior of.
>
> Agreed. Let's get rid of the "more options" help, then?

Yes, done in commit 9fa1b1d (Tails Greeter's repo).

> I'm starting to think that the "just remember users what it's about"
> usecase would be better solved by tooltip messages than by the more
> heavyweight Help button, but well, the whole thing has to be reworked
> entirely anyway.

I completely agree that a tooltip would be more appropriate for the
"read-only reminder"; in fact, I had a look at this for that very reason
before I added the help link. However, AFAICT tooltips are not
integrated into glade in a gracious way, so I gave up.

Still, who know, maybe users have other reasons for looking at the
persistence help that are not obvious to us because of our familiarity
with the feature and exactly what it does? Since the link isn't bloating
the UI *that* much, I think it can stay.

However, a good argument against it is that it (for the first time in
TG's history, I believe) breaks the currently memorized TAB-navigation
of the first TG window, which may be especially problematic for disabled
users. Is that a deal breaker?

Cheers!