Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofin…

Autor: anonym
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails
21/11/13 21:59, sajolida@??? wrote:
> anonym:
>> Tails prototype branch: feature/spoof-mac
>> Tails Greeter prototype branch: feature/spoof-mac
>> Ticket: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5421 (and sub-tickets)
>>
>> Below are the initial design after an internal discussion. It's
>> up-to-date version can be found at:
>>
>>     https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/macchanger/

>> All comments are welcome!
>
> Something else I thought about while cleaning up the forum. When Tails
> is run from a virtual machine, then it might not be possible to change
> the MAC address. And also, we might not be able to assume that changing
> the MAC address works on absolutely every possible hardware. So I guess
> we should detect those situations when changing the MAC address doesn't
> work and warn the user accordingly.

For potential issues with MAC spoofing and virtual machines, please see
the the section "MAC spoofing and virtual machine networking issues" in
the blueprint, and also the sub-thread of this thread called "disabling
MAC spoofing by default in VM's". Please let me (us) know what you think
about that.

In the general case, I agree that when MAC spoofing is enabled, and it
fails for some interface, the user must be notified. I also think we
have to take further steps, which are mentioned in the "MAC spoof
failure warning and failsafe" section (previously called "Pre-up
Failsafe") of the blueprint.

> Ideally, if we could check first if it is possible to change the MAC,
> then we could display an appropriate user interface or warning first,
> instead of pretending that everything will work and then displaying an
> fat error message.

While I agree it'd be better, this is just became impossible due to the
new approach of completely blocking any network cards from being added
(i.e. their modules loaded) until after Tails Greeter logs in.

Cheers!