Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofin…

Autor: sajolida
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails
anonym:
> ## Conclusions
>
> The strong requirement of enabling MAC spoofing in a few cases, and
> the low risk of keeping it enabled even in the cases where it should
> be avoided, warrants for making this feature enabled by default, with
> the possibility to opt-out.

As another consequence of lessening the danger of spoofing by mistake,
shall we reconsider the usage of the -e option?

I mean, changing only the end of the MAC address can still provides
useful bits of information when spoofing is a strong requirement. It
would be interesting to study how unique the first part can be, but I
bet some are quite identifying. On the other hand if we believe that
spoofing is of low risk when it is not needed, which means that we
globally lessen the important of AvoidSuspicion, and AvoidIdTails in
favour of AvoidTracking, then having an obviously fake but totally
random MAC address seems better.

This topic and this threads are very heavy to process to me, so I'll let
anonym react on that proposal, but maybe I didn't think about it deeply
enough and it will be easy to discard. Still I wanted to raise the topic.