Re: [Tails-dev] Localization of help in the greeter [Was: [R…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] Tails Python library [Was: Localization of help in the greeter]
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Localization of help in the greeter [Was: [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails]
23/11/13 00:07, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anonym wrote (21 Nov 2013 05:58:37 GMT) :
>
> Ideally, the documentation page loaded in the greeter would be
> localized, if a localized version is available. We have various pieces
> of code that do this in Tails, and likely the best you can find for
> this case is in WhisperBack (since it's Python).

Sure. This is another piece of code that'd fit in a Tails Python library.

> But well, keeping the link l10n'able via a link in the translatable
> label text is probably good enough (and IIRC it's just what I've done
> in Tails-IUK for the iteration I'm working on), even if 1. it spreads
> the "which languages are enabled on the Tails website" information in
> way too many places (PO files in many Git repos!) to my eyes (we'll
> have to think of it when we disable some poorly maintained
> translations eventually);

Ok.

> 2. it doesn't display translated doc to
> users until the relevant part of the greeter is (correctly) translated
> into their language.

For a first release even I could "translate" the language code in the
url part, leaving "Help" untranslated so we don't get something funny
sounding. OTOH, that'd make the whole string appear as "translated";
would this perhaps prevent our translators from translating the rest of
the string (i.e. the "Help" part)?

> (At some point, we'll need a "MAC spoofing: phase 2" parent ticket to
> organize the steps after the current iteration. See how I've done it
> for incremental updates, I'm pretty happy with it.)

Indeed!

Cheers!