Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/linux-3.11-2 […

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge feature/linux-3.11-2 [Was: Broken build / Linux 3.11]
Alan wrote (21 Nov 2013 09:18:07 GMT) :
> Works for me.

Good.

> Why is the branch called feature/linux-3.11-*2* while it actually
> install 3.11-*1*?

What makes you think so? Here's what I see in the last Jenkins build
of experimental:

  linux-image-3.11-2-486    3.11.8-1
  linux-image-3.11-2-686-pae    3.11.8-1

>> There's a merge to do at the APT level too.
>>
> What is this (custom?) gcc-4.8 package and why is it needed?

The new version of linux-headers-* depends on gcc-4.8, because sid's
kernel is now built with that version IIRC, but in practice stuff we
care about compiles just well with the Squeeze version of GCC.
Official backports downgrade this dependency, IIRC. We've been doing
the same trick basically forever, see: we have gcc-4.{6,7} for the
same reasons already.

> Once I understand why there is this package, I'm fine to merge it.

Please go ahead :)