Re: [mat-dev] Unclear UI on (unsupported?) files

Author: intrigeri
To: mat-dev
Subject: Re: [mat-dev] Unclear UI on (unsupported?) files
Hi,

jvoisin wrote (09 Nov 2013 02:03:51 GMT) :
> On 11/08/2013 12:12 PM, intrigeri wrote:
>> intrigeri wrote (14 Oct 2013 09:46:10 GMT) :
>>> I tried to add a .rtf into the MAT 0.4 GUI, and it doesn't appear in
>>> the list. Granted, RTF isn't supported, but I guess I should be
>>> explained why nothing is happening?
> The file should appear in the "non-supported" popup when you drag-n-drop
> it into the MAT.

FWIW, in case it matters, I've added it with the "Add" button, not
via d'n'd.

Indeed, I see the file listed in a popup that tells me its filename
(thanks, I knew) and its MIME type (why should I care?), but there's
nothing that tells me it is unsupported.

Is this due to my WM hiding the dialog window title bar, perhaps?
If it is so: I'm not sure what the GNOME HIG says about it, but it
seems bad HCI practice to rely on the user to read the content of the
title bar, to understand what the system is telling them. How about
adding a title *inside* the window to explain what this list is about?

> While I agree that this popup mix non-supported and
> not-metadata-capables files, I haven't come yet with a better interface.

> Do you we think that this popup should also have a "reason" column,
> displaying either "non-supported" or "not metadata-capable" ?

> Since I don't know many not-metadata-capables formats (bmp, rtf, xml,
> txt), I think a whitelist should be ok.

For now, I don't care much about these details.