Re: [Tails-dev] Switched SCIM to IBus for wheezy, please

Author: winterfairy
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Switched SCIM to IBus for wheezy, please
intrigeri wrote:
> winterfairy at riseup.net wrote (06 Nov 2013 16:26:12 GMT) :
>> Bug #5624 seems to indicate we want to start the IBus daemon always, since
>> it must be started at login time to be fully usable (environment variables
>> must be set up). See mentions of "restart X" in that bug report, and final
>> dot under research.
>
> Ah, right, I forgot this part.
>
>> One may want to input in Chinese, Japanese or Korean even when selecting
>> English as language, for example when working on documents. I think it
>> should be started by default, especially since I cannot see how it may
>> interfere for users that are not going to use it.
>
>> What would any reason for not starting it by default be? Anyone have any?
>
> I'm convinced, marking the ticket as resolved. Thanks for clarifying.
> Would you happily add a sub-sub-[...]-section to contribute/design,
> that points to the relevant added script, and documents this?
> I would see it in "3.3 Internationalization".

It may be faster if someone familiar with that document does it. But
otherwise I can do it.

> Ah, also: any specific reason to use /etc/X11/Xsession.d/, while we've
> moved all such scripts to /usr/local/*bin/ + /etc/xdg/autostart/ ?
> Not that I care much, just curious.

Because that was the location of im-switch's 80im-switch script, and I
didn't want to change the position where the input method is started from
a known working position.

Also the environment variables must be set by sourcing the script, and
that must be done before *any* application starts.

>> I will wait with fixing this issue in squeeze based Tails until we have
>> decided whether to start it always by default or not.
>
> Go, go, go :)

Yeah!