Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock v0.4 - Update

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock v0.4 - Update
Hi,

Kevin C. Krinke wrote (06 Nov 2013 15:15:04 GMT) :
> On 2013-11-06 8:42 AM, intrigeri wrote:
>> * .config/tailsclock/settings reads:
>>      # DO NOT EDIT - This file is overwritten automatically. #
>>   May I ask why? Isn't manual configuration supported?
>>   When / why would manual configuration be overwritten?

> Whenever a configuration option is changed in the prefs dialog, the
> entire file is re-written. #LazyProgramming

> Should I do something different there?

I suggest loading the config file when the prefs dialog is open.
Monitoring changes of the config file seems overkill, but at least not
destroying manual config seems useful. Anyway, that's certainly not
high priority :)

>> * When the locale doesn't support AM/PM, why not simply hide the
>> config option in the prefs dialog, instead of locking it?
>> That may be only me, but I generally feel weird when I'm shown some
>> piece of UI that I can't interact with.

> I'm not a fan of hidden options just because my locale doesn't support
> the feature.

OK, then let me rephrase: what's the use or advantage of showing me an
"option" that I can't change?

> In any case, I'm not tied to any particular choice on the
> matter. If it feels odd to see them greyed out; #WillFix.

>> * Is it on purpose that a logfile is always created? I understand it's
>> useful at development time, but we won't want to ship with this in
>> production, will we? (Printing to STDERR would seem just fine to me,
>> so that logs land into ~/.xsession-errors, just like every other
>> similar message from a desktop software.)

> For some unknown reason, printing to stderr did not show up for me in
> ~/.xsession-errors.

> As for why debug is on by default, right now I'd like to ensure that
> when someone tests and has a bug with the formatting or whatnot, they've
> got something they can add to the bug report.

> 0.5 will be a bugfix build without debugging and if that's all good then
> we'll finalize and jump to a 1.0 actual release.

Makes sense.