Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock v0.3 - Update

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails Clock v0.3 - Update
Kevin C. Krinke wrote (03 Nov 2013 16:42:07 GMT) :
>> I certainly wouldn't mind adding a dependency on python-yaml, rather
>> than seeing yet another very partial YAML parser appear on
>> this planet.

> It's actually just "key: value" pairs, only reason I call it yaml is
> because key-value pairs is moar keystrokes ;)

> If you want it to use python-yaml, I'll make it so.

I don't care much, as long as the parser doesn't get bigger (e.g.
some day, someone will suggest supporting comments and so on, and then
it'll be time to use code we don't have to maintain ourselves).

>> I think it's generally not seen as best practice to ship all these
>> autotools files and symlinks in Git: shipping autogen.sh, Makefile.am,
>> src/Makefile.am and configure.in should be enough. Especially,
>> symlinks that depend on a specific version of automake are not
>> too helpful.

> Symlinks will be fixed.

I'm not sure they can be fixed without adding a dependency on
a specific version of automake (which is not suitable when supporting
more than one OS).

> I'm still new to creating an autotools build system from scratch so I've
> never really known what the appropriate files to maintain are. I'd like
> to keep enough in there so anyone can regenerate things formally but
> I'll dig into figuring out what's not actually necessary and strip them
> from the repo.

Cool.

>> Perhaps a tiny bit of meta-programming to avoid the copy'n'paste?

> Yeah, will fix. :) Should be consolidated into a single callback.

... or just generate the methods :)