Re: [Tails-dev] Use version instead of release in apt prefer…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Use version instead of release in apt preferences
Hi,

Alan wrote (28 Oct 2013 14:41:21 GMT) :
> During 0.21 testing, I wondered why apt/preferences reads debian
> releases (testing, devel) and not package versions? I think that it
> would be more clear, at lease for packages like kernels that we upgrade
> manually. What do you think?

I agree for the kernel, if someone finds this is important enough to
put on their todo list, experiment with it and propose a branch: this
would avoid changing APT pinning when we switch from testing to
unstable and vice-versa. This happened once only in the last year,
IIRC, so I consider this is *very* low-priority, though. Note that
this will *not* avoid the need to do manual changes + review and merge
when updating the kernel, as some package names change to an extent
not supported by the limited globbing support in APT pinning.

I would disagree if the proposal was to make this a general rule:
doing this would trigger even more build breakage (noticed only by
anyone who builds very often and/or looks at Jenkins regularly, guess
who that is currently), manual changes and review'n'merge. No,
thanks :)

Anyway, the real solution is to import (a subset of) the Debian
archive when we want to. Good news is that it's on the 2.0 roadmap.