Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofin…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails
Hi,

adrelanos wrote (23 Oct 2013 08:52:08 GMT) :
> What is it you want to say?
> a) Never harmful.
> b) Harmful in some cases.

b)

> In my opinion MAC spoofing should be considered "harmful in some cases".

Agreed.

> Does "generally not harmful" equal "never/not harmful"?

No:

  Generally \Gen"er*al*ly\, adv.
     1. In general; commonly; extensively, though not universally;
        most frequently.
        [1913 Webster]

... which is exactly the meaning we want to convey, IMHO.

> At the moment I understand it was "never harmful but may cause
> connection problems" and would assume a user would conclude "good, lets
> leave it enabled, just try".

Ah, interesting. If every word we're using can possibly be
misunderstood, then UI design becomes an even harder challenge than it
already is. Hopefully this will be clearer once translated into your
native language: I would rather bet on l10n (which works rather well,
actually, as far as Tails is concerned), than trying to workaround
every potential misunderstanding of basic English words :)

FWIW, as a non-native speaker too, my own understanding of "Leaving
this option enabled is generally not harmful but may cause network
connection problems" is that it can be harmful in some cases, else why
would have the program designer bothered to insert "generally".