Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofin…

Author: adrelanos
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails
Apart from this minor feedback, I forgot to say, this is great work! It
really is!

intrigeri:
> adrelanos wrote (23 Oct 2013 08:28:22 GMT) :
>> anonym:
>>> I envision a GUI looking like this:
>>> [...]
>>>     This options prevents leaving traces of your geographical
>>>     location. Leaving this option enabled is generally not harmful but
>>>     may cause network connection problems. See the documentation.
>>> [...]

>> I suggest changing this... I don't have a great suggestion yet, but
>> saying "generally not harmful" seems wrong.
>
> Why? Isn't "generally" different enough from "always"?

As a non-native English speaker...

What is it you want to say?
a) Never harmful.
b) Harmful in some cases.

In my opinion MAC spoofing should be considered "harmful in some cases".

Does "generally not harmful" equal "never/not harmful"?

If "generally not harmful" is understood as "in most cases not harmful,
but there are a few cases where it is harmful", then my suggestion is
invalid.

At the moment I understand it was "never harmful but may cause
connection problems" and would assume a user would conclude "good, lets
leave it enabled, just try".

Having a user conclude "not harmful in most cases, but I should read the
documentation to find out when it is harmful" is better.