Re: [Tails-dev] Timing of the move to FF24

Author: intrigeri
To: Mike Perry
CC: tails-dev
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] Control Port / Timing of the move to FF24
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Timing of the move to FF24
Hi,

Mike Perry wrote (25 Sep 2013 02:37:38 GMT) :
> I think you mostly want to pick up the patch for Bug #8478.

Thanks for the hint, done for Tails 0.21. Slightly weird results:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/8478#comment:25

> However, you should probably start investigating 1.6.x and see how bad
> it is for you to use. 1.5.x will probably be EOL as soon as TBB 3.0 is
> stable (which is blocked on just a couple bugs).

> Not sure if our branding additions to 1.6.x will conflict with yours or
> not.

Our feature/ff24 branch now uses Torbutton 1.6.x. Here's what I had to
do (in case you think Torbutton could make it easier for you):

a. Override TBB branding with our own: basically, we override
Torbutton's the branding-related settings from preferences.js in
/etc/xul-ext/torbutton.js, so that
chrome://amnesiabranding/locale/amnesia.properties is used instead
of chrome://torbutton/locale/browser.properties. I think this
clean, simple, and likely the best outcome we could expect.

b. The fix for the "are we connected to Tor" check was a bit harder,
and I'm not exactly satisfied by the implementation, even if it's
working fine:

     First, unset TOR_CONTROL_PORT and TOR_CONTROL_HOST (non-working
     anyway, since we are forbidding access to the control port for
     the amnesia user), so that the "Are we connected through Tor"
     check is done to check.torproject.org, instead of failing to do
     it via the local control port.

     Second, enable extensions.torbutton.versioncheck_enabled, set
     extensions.torbutton.updateNeeded to false, and set
     extensions.torbutton.lastUpdateCheck far away in the future.
     The former is required so that the "Are we connected to Tor"
     check is tried at all, and the two others are needed to actually
     block Torbutton's version checking, and pretend no update was
     needed last time it checked.

Perhaps Torbutton could be slightly modified to allow us to use the
"are we connected to Tor" check, without enabling version checking?

>> 1. When do you expect to have published preliminary Torbrowser
>>    patches, rebased on FF24?

> Right now:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/mikeperry/tor-browser.git/shortlog/refs/heads/torbrowser-firefox24.0

Works fine for us :)