Re: [Tails-dev] Quarterly tickets gardening: outcome and pro…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Quarterly tickets gardening: outcome and proposals
sajolida@??? wrote (07 Oct 2013 08:41:50 GMT) :
> I hope possible contributors won't be turned down by "low"
> priority tasks.

This is a topic I've been thinking of recently.

I'm more and more thinking we need another way to express that we find
something is not unimportant, but we are not able to commit to do it
any time soon, so patches are welcome.

It's a different thing than telling that something is of lower
importance per-se (like a wishlist feature request).

Right now, we only have one single way (priority = Low) to express
both situations, and indeed there's a risk that as a new contributor,
being suggested to tackle something marked with low priority may not
feel very inviting.

But I'm unsure how to do it: actually, most of the tickets that are
not on our roadmap, and not assigned to anyone, and are of >>Low
priority, fall into the "we can't do it right now, please help"
category. So perhaps we should just clarify that this is the current
situation in the "how to contribute" documentation, and avoid
inventing yet another bit of overhead to our Redmine processes.