Re: [Tails-dev] Removing the clock applet from the desktop

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Removing the clock applet from the desktop
Hi,

intrigeri wrote (19 Sep 2013 18:22:00 GMT) :
> Chris Doten wrote:
>> Is there a way to let users pick a timezone in the greeter (and
>> persist it) and present that to them while using UTC for all the
>> behind-the-scenes elements?

> It's certainly possible, but I doubt GNOME upstream would happily
> merge code that allows users to set their "display timezone"
> independently of the system timezone. So this would be a delta we
> would have not only to create to start with, but also to maintain
> basically forever (be it in the form of a patch against the GNOME
> clock applet, or as a custom applet we could write from scratch).

Someone just suggested a quite simpler solution that I had missed: to
run the clock applet with TZ set accordingly to the region chosen in
the greeter.

Filed as a wishlist ticket: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6284

(Nevertheless, until this is implemented — don't hold your breath,
patches are welcome :) — removing the clock applet still seems to be
an improvement to me.)