Re: [Tails-dev] Point the "Report a bug" desktop launcher to…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Point the "Report a bug" desktop launcher to "Help & Support"?
hi,

sajolida@??? wrote (06 Sep 2013 16:17:28 GMT) :
> On 03/09/13 18:46, intrigeri wrote:
>> Alternatively, we could simply remove this launcher on the grounds
>> that we already have a "Tails documentation" one.

> I don't mean to be pedantic here but what is the problem you are trying
> to solve here?

Let's forget about the "remove the launcher" proposal. Sorry for
the confusion.

> And what was the purpose of having this launcher on the
> desktop in the first place?

This is slightly embarassing :) Commit a327eb that added it doesn't
tell much. It was added at a time when we didn't use topic branches,
had no review process, and just pushed to Git whatever looked good
enough to one of us. If nobody objected, then the change might still
be here in 2013, just like e.g. the desktop background color :)

> Do you think we are receiving to many Whisperback reports and should not
> be sent? There is surely some noise, but not that many, and I find it
> great to see many people reporting all kind of errors. I have the
> feeling that the noise is worth the useful input.

I agree. I'm not unhappy with the current S/N ratio overall, and I'm
certainly not aiming at receiving less bug reports.

However, I'd like to less often have to point to "Known issues",
that's why I'm interested in having the most obvious path to reporting
a bug actually go through our "Found a problem?" page.

> In that case, I would rather point to /support/found_a_problem/ and
> improve that page if required. It is a shorter path and still includes:
> checking whether the problem is known already, upgrading if needed,
> reading the bug reporting guidelines, etc.

Fully agreed.