Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge bugfix/unmount-persist…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review'n'merge bugfix/unmount-persistent-volume-on-shutdown (#6228)
hi,

anonym wrote (03 Sep 2013 17:43:42 GMT) :
> My tests show that an old Tails install that consistently had to do
> recovery after boot consistently didn't have to do recovery once
> upgraded to a version with the fix. With "consistently" I mean something
> like "three reboots", in boot cases (well, an extra we're you get a
> recovery for the latter scenario since it'd have to do deal with the
> mess from the last shutdown with the older version).

I'm glad you confirm this patch fixes the problem.

> I do, however, have a two questions:

> 1. I don't see how this unmounting performed in boot-init.sh deals with
> removing LUKS' DM mappings, which should prevent TailsData from being
> unmounted cleanly. The mappings are unmounted, and after that there's a
> sync, but is that enough? I don't see any mentions of recovery for the
> TailsData partition in syslog, so maybe it's all fine. Just something
> for consideration.

I believe that umount is enough to ensure the data is written to disk.

> 2. Next, let me cite your git commit message:

>> The upstream live-boot initscript (shipped by live-config) doesn't know about
>> our persistent mounts (/live/persistence/*), since they are performed from GDM,
>> and not further moved to the same place as mounts done during initramfs are
>> (/lib/live/mount/persistence/*).

> So, instead of patching boot-init.sh, why don't we make Tails Greeter
> mount its persistent volumes in the same directory as live-boot? My
> understanding is that our mount point is just an artifact of us using an
> old (development) version of live-boot, which used that directory, at
> the time Tails Greeter was extended with persistence support, but I may
> be wrong.

I cannot find where *we* would be specifying /live/persistence as the
mountpoint -- isn't live-boot doing this all by itself, and
mount'ing --move to /lib/live/mount/persistence later?

> so I merged this into stable (and devel).

Great! I've updated the ticket accordingly, so that you know how to do
it yourself next time:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6228#note-12

However... I can't see this branch merged into stable and devel.
I see other branches that were merged today, but not this one.
Perhaps you forgot to push?

> Sorry for the delay!

No worries, we're still far enough from the freeze to handle
a one-liner patch :)