Re: [Tails-dev] Improving Tails USB Installer messages when …

Author: Alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Improving Tails USB Installer messages when upgrading
Hi,

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:44:16 +0200 sajolida@??? wrote:
> Someone sent us a Whisperback bug report to point the fact that the
> message of Tails USB Installer should be more reassuring when doing an
> upgrade on a USB stick with persistence.
>
> "Your device already contains a LiveOS.
> If you continue, this will be overwritten.
> Press 'Next' if you wish to continue."
>
> The installer doesn't actually specify that the persistent storage
> will be kept. This seems to be an important UX problem.

I agree.

> A suggestion would be to have Tails USB Installer look at the USB
> stick and see if there's already a persistence volume. If there is,
> it should warn you that the Tails OS will get overwritten but the
> persistence volume will remain the same.

Not sure I find it relevant to put energy to implement the checks. But
why not?

> Otherwise, without even changing the logic, the installer could have a
> line somewhere saying that the persistent storage will not be erased.

That seems me easy and improving the situation (nearly) as much as the
other proposal; Something like:

    Your device already contains a live operation system like Tails.
    If you continue, this will be overwritten by a new Tails
    version. Your persistent partition will be preserved.
    Press 'Next' if you wish to continue.

> If we agree on that, I volunteer to do a preliminary patch.

Either way you choose, i'll be happy to review it.

Cheers