Re: [Tails-dev] Installing Tails onto USB-Stick

Author: Arne
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Installing Tails onto USB-Stick
Hi,
and first of all thanks for the quick answer.
Of course it is visible there but this didn't fix my concerns.
Because it is quite unlikely that a normal user of a Linux system is
allowed to write to the device directly.
So i don't understand why it is not the first told practice to switch to
superuser or using sudo?
Even if you are installing from another distribution where you are
already root the su or sudo su command wouldn't have any effect. So just
showing this as the normal way would be the most fail-safe way.
Furthermore i don't get a specific reason why you are using cat instead
of dd. Maybe because cat is really likely to be already installed but
from my experiences dd is mostly installed as well.
And a last thing i think that this distribution is dedicated to those
who need anonymity in a safe way. So maybe they don't have such a big
background and would stop after the first try even if they are already
using Linux.
But i don't see any reason to make it as easy and fail-safe for them to
install this distribution onto a USB-Stick.

Kind Regards
Arne Hitzmann