Re: [Tails-dev] Installing Tails onto USB-Stick

Author: Alessandro Grassi
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Installing Tails onto USB-Stick
Hi,

2013/8/7, Arne Hitzmann <arne.hitzmann@???>:
> Hello everybody,
> i was playing around with Tails the last days and there might be a little
> flaw in your documentation how to install tails onto a USB-Stick.
> The documentation suggesting it like this:
>
> isohybrid [tails.iso] --entry 4 --type 0x1c
> cat [tails.iso] > [device] && sync
>
> But this lead me (even with root rights of course) to a "Permission Denied"
> Exception.
> I don't why in particular but it might have something to do with the usage
> of the cat command for data transfer.
> Please correct me if i am wrong.
> But maybe i am not the only one with this problem, actually it worked fine
> link this :
>
> isohybrid [tails.iso] --entry 4 --type 0x1c
> (sudo/su) dd if=[tails.iso] of=[device] && sync
>
> so maybe it's possible to add this method to the one shown on the website.
>

> Kind Regards
> Arne Hitzmann
>

> My OperatingSystem: Ubuntu 12.04.2

Maybe you are using "sudo cat [tails.iso] > [device]"? This syntax
can't work because "cat" runs as superuser but the redirection (>
[device]) is done as the unprivileged user.

The "troubleshooting" section of that page reports a correct way to do it:

sudo su -
isohybrid [tails.iso] --entry 4 --type 0x1c
cat [tails.iso] > [device] && sync

Using "dd" as you did is another valid method.

Greetings
Alessandro