Re: [Tails-dev] todo/network_fingerprint

Author: adrelanos
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] todo/network_fingerprint
intrigeri:
> Hi,
>
> adrelanos wrote (02 Jul 2013 23:04:43 GMT) :
>> As per "[Tails-dev] documentation contribution process too
>> bureaucratic?", I'd prefer just to create todo discussion page, [...]
>> [Using git patches for this kind of stuff, for me, takes more time than
>> editing like three or four such chapters.
>
> Whatever you prefer (and that actually can be reviewed and merged
> without too much silly efforts), but please propose changes to the
> *source* of the page, not to the rendered output. One does not submit
> binary patches to the *compiled* Linux kernel, and there are good
> reasons for this :)

Glad to do that. I have to write wiki markdown anyway if I want to post
it to a discussion/todo page.

>>> OK, this paragraph can certainly be used somewhere in this document,
>>> but the section you're patching is about distinguishing Tails users
>>> from other Tor users, so I doubt censorship circumvention fits right
>>> in there.
>
>> Then I must have got something wrong. This was in response too:

>>> I think we're trying to be proactive about making it harder to detect
>>> Tails users who use bridge mode. <snip>
>
>> I think fingerprinting and distinguishing Tails users from other Tor
>> users is interconnected a lot.
>
> Sure. Perhaps that's a good enough reason to re-purpose the whole
> section. But still, one can't tell in the introduction that it's about
> one thing, and then talk (surprise!) about the other. See what I mean?

Agreed.

[I don't think I can come up with a solution and I don't think writing
an obvious, non-surprising, simple technical design is in scope of the
design. If one wants it like a school book, beginning from no knowledge
about linux/anonymity/security/privacy, that's something I consider a
good thing. At the moment one who want to get into this topic in
general, will have to read a lot stuff from a lot different sources.
While reading the first things, this person always won't understand many
things, which get clearer over time. Even in a school book, you can't
expect to understand some random chapter by reading just that very
chapter. Ideally, the required knowledge to understand that chapter was
covered in an earlier chapter.]

>>> I don't understand why. Did we decide that the "Tor restart on
>>> startup" thing is a non-issue? It seems contradictory with the stated
>>> goal of defeating DPI.
>
>> I was mostly refering to "Tails developers still need to think
>> thoroughly of these questions" - I think these questions are, with the
>> new design decision (should this become one), answered. In meaning of,
>> "you don't have to think through it anymore, since this has been answered".
>
> I don't think so, but perhaps I missed something.
> What's the answer to these questions, then?

With the assumption that [1] is still accepted as it was earlier in this
thread, it's as it follows.

> Are such fingerprinting possibilities a serious problem?

As per the new proposed fingerprinting design chapter, the answer is,
for example, either:
- "Yes."
- "For (censorship circumvention mode/bridge users), yes."

Now its a stylistic question whether you expect the design (which
includes fingerprinting) to be read already or if you add some required
knowledge block above or if you link to other connected design chapters.