Re: [Tails-dev] openssl with no PKCS5_PBKDF2_HMAC (breaks bi…

Autor: sajolida
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] openssl with no PKCS5_PBKDF2_HMAC (breaks bitmessage)

On 18/04/13 09:28, tailsn00b@??? wrote:
> I am trying to use https://bitmessage.org the P2P communications protocol
> on top of tails, so I followed
> https://bitmessage.org/wiki/Compiling_instructions
> but it seems that the openssl in tails is missing a feature:
>
> amnesia@amnesia:~/PyBitmessage/src$ python bitmessagemain.py
> (On Linux) Couldn't find and load the OpenSSL library. You must install
> it. If you believe that you already have it installed, this exception
> information might be of use:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "bitmessagemain.py", line 37, in <module>
>     from addresses import *
>   File "/home/amnesia/PyBitmessage/src/addresses.py", line 3, in <module>
>     from pyelliptic import arithmetic
>   File "/home/amnesia/PyBitmessage/src/pyelliptic/__init__.py", line 16,
> in <module>
>     from .openssl import OpenSSL
>   File "/home/amnesia/PyBitmessage/src/pyelliptic/openssl.py", line 429,
> in <module>
>     OpenSSL = _OpenSSL(find_library('ssl'))
>   File "/home/amnesia/PyBitmessage/src/pyelliptic/openssl.py", line 292,
> in __init__
>     self.PKCS5_PBKDF2_HMAC = self._lib.PKCS5_PBKDF2_HMAC
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/ctypes/__init__.py", line 366, in __getattr__
>     func = self.__getitem__(name)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/ctypes/__init__.py", line 371, in __getitem__
>     func = self._FuncPtr((name_or_ordinal, self))
> AttributeError: /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0.9.8: undefined symbol:
> PKCS5_PBKDF2_HMAC
> amnesia@amnesia:~/PyBitmessage/src$

> Following the same procedure on Ubuntu works smooth.

Browsing for the last error message gives me two results that shows that
people are having similar problems with Debian Squeeze (and Tails is
based on Debian Squeeze):

https://github.com/Bitmessage/PyBitmessage/issues/47
http://cryptojunky.com/blog/2013/03/09/setting-up-and-using-bitmessage-an-encrypted-communications-platform-based-on-bitcoin/

So maybe bitmessage is not compatible with the version of OpenSSL in
Debian Squeeze:

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=openssl

> Could you please enable this openssl feature on the compilation of
> tails?

I'm really not sure that has to do with compilation, and anyway we are
not compiling OpenSSL for Tails but merely using the Debian package
which is already compiled.

Furthermore, we are very short on human resources within Tails so we
won't have time to help you further on this issue.