[tails-news] Tails 0.17 is out

Author: Tails - News
To: amnesia-news
Subject: [tails-news] Tails 0.17 is out
Tails, The Amnesic Incognito Live System, version 0.17, is out.

All users must upgrade as soon as possible.

# Changes

Notable user-visible changes include:

* New features

    * Install the KeePassX password manager, with a configuration and [documentation][1] that makes it easy to persist the password database.

* Iceweasel

    * Upgrade to Iceweasel 17.0.3esr-1+tails1~bpo60+1.
    * Do not allow listing all available fonts.
    * Improve default spellchecker dictionary selection.
    * Disable the add-ons automatic update feature.
    * Remove NoScript click-to-play confirmation.
    * Sync some prefs set by Torbutton, to be ready when it stops setting these.
    * Disable navigation timing.
    * Disable SPDY.
    * More aggressive iceweasel HTTP pipelining settings.
    * Enable WebGL (as click-to-play only).
    * Disable network.http.connection-retry-timeout.
    * Disable full path information for plugins.
    * Remove NoScript blocks of WebFonts.

* Minor improvements

    * Upgrade to live-boot 3.0~b11-1 and live-config 3.0.12-1.
    * Don't add "quiet" to the kernel command-line ourselves.
    * Upgrade I2P to 0.9.4.

* Bugfixes

    * Many bugfixes brought by the Debian Squeeze 6.0.7 point-release.
    * Use the regular GnuPG agent + pinentry-gtk2 instead of Seahorse as a GnuPG agent. This fixes usage of OpenPGP in Claws Mail, and brings support for OpenPGP smartcards.
    * Enable I2P hidden mode. Else, killing I2P ungracefully is bad for the I2P network.
    * Add shutdown and reboot launchers to the menu. This workarounds the lack of a shutdown helper applet in camouflage mode.
    * Remove Pidgin's MXit and Sametime support to workaround security flaws.

* Hardware support

    * Install recent Intel and AMD microcode.
    * Install firmware loader for Qualcomm Gobi USB chipsets.
    * Upgrade barry to 0.18.3-5~bpo60+1.

* Localization

    * Tails USB Installer: update translations for Arabic, Czech, German, Hebrew, Polish and Spanish.
    * tails-greeter: update Spanish and French translations, new Polish translation.
    * tails-persistence-setup: update translations for Arabic, Bulgarian, Spanish, French, Dutch, Polish and Chinese.
    * WhisperBack: update Spanish and Korean translations, import new Polish translation.

Plus the usual bunch of bug reports and minor improvements.

See the [online Changelog][2] for technical details.

# I want to try it / to upgrade!

See the [Getting started][3] page.

As no software is ever perfect, we maintain a list of [problems that affects the last release of Tails][4].

# What's coming up?

The next Tails release is scheduled for April 9. It will probably be a minor, bugfix only one.

Have a look to our [roadmap][5] to see where we are heading to.

Would you want to help? As explained in our ["how to contribute" documentation][6], there are many ways **you** can contribute to Tails. If you want to help, come talk to us!

[1]: https://tails.boum.org/news/../doc/encryption_and_privacy/manage_passwords/index.en.html
[2]: http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=blob_plain;f=debian/changelog;hb=refs/tags/0.17
[3]: https://tails.boum.org/news/../getting_started/index.en.html
[4]: https://tails.boum.org/news/../support/known_issues/index.en.html