Re: [Tails-dev] next cd implementions?

Autor: intrigeri
Para: johan
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] next cd implementions?
Hi johan,

first, thank you for taking the time to send us these suggestions!

johan@??? wrote (21 Jan 2013 01:29:46 GMT) :
> There are many people that would like to have the Swedisch VPN
> "Mullvad" implemented into the Live-cd.

Here's what we decided to do wrt. VPN support in Tails:

    https://tails.boum.org/todo/vpn_support/

Bottom line is that Tails is about anonymity, and we won't support
"anonymity" solutions that rely on:

  1. Your VPN provider being friendly, not logging, not giving logs to
     your adversary, and their servers being never rooted. We strongly
     prefer "security by design" solutions.
  2. Your adversary not monitoring your VPN provider.

Tor's anonymity is certainly not perfect (and will never be),
but it's still way better than this.

But if you absolutely want a VPN option in something that looks like
Tails, we've been told some people are working on a fork that does
just this. Finding and joining them should not be too hard.
Personally, I do hope they succeed: it would be healthy to have
a lively fork of Tails around there, and it would make it easy for us
to redirect to them people who are willing to trade anonymity for
speed more than what Tor does.

> Tor is so slow, so [...]

I think the best way to fix this is... to help make Tor faster!
E.g. projects such as torservers.net are an interesting idea,
and already make the difference.

Also, this feeling of slowness is a matter of personal habits and
experience. I've been using Tor for all my web navigation for two
years, and have adapted my browsing habits to make it bearable :)

> For Mullvad user i would sugguest to install Firefox as webbrowser.

Unless you tell us why, I don't see how we could discuss this.

> Then I would (and also other users of julie CD) would like to see you
> implement Firefox
> to the Live-CD with the following Add-ons.
> [...]

Why?

(Many people have already sent us random lists of privacy-related
add-ons, and unfortunately, when we took the time to look ourselves
for good reasons to install them, most of the time we found none, so
now I'm asking for a good rationale first ;)

> In the url box of Firefox you can disable also the next [type
> about:config]

> geo.enabled;false

This is already the case in Tails.

> network.http.sendRefererHeader;0

This breaks a great number of websites, and it's unclear that it
improves anonymity more than it breaks it.

> The i would be also greath to implement some bookmarks already into Firefox

> These would be nice: Visit them i you now what i mean.
> Nice to have them bookmarked already is it?

Tails has support for persistent bookmarks, so anyone can add their
own ones. This, IMHO, is an argument against adding a big pile of
default bookmarks that we would have to check for relevance
and brokenness.

> Anonymous online chat

If we want to support a web-based chat, I guess we might want to
support cryptocat instead. Any reasons why these ones are better?

> Anonymous search with web proxy's

How are those better than Startpage, DuckDuckGo and ixquick?
(That are already supported in Tails.)

> IP check service

check.torproject.org is already bookmarked, so what's the point of
adding more?

> Online encryption and decryption for email

What do these add on top of what's Tails is already
supporting offline?

I'm stopping here with this loooong list. In short: please propose
less suggested bookmarks at a time, and tell us *why* they would be
relevant, because it's not obvious.

> If we can provide the team with more stuff then let us now.

Sure, you can! --> https://tails.boum.org/contribute/ :)

Regards,