[Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/install-tasksel-…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Temas antigos: [Tails-dev] Build systems and microcode weirdness
Asunto: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/install-tasksel-standard-task [Was: Build systems and microcode weirdness]
Hi,

intrigeri wrote (26 Nov 2012 11:12:59 GMT) :
> 0.14 and 0.15 I've built have amd64-microcode, intel-microcode and
> microcode.ctl installed at the "P: Begin installing tasks..." stage.

> 0.15~rc1 does not ship these packages. Perhaps there's something
> missing or different or older or whatever in the Vagrant build setup,
> compared to what I'm using?

> Can a Vagrant user please send me a build log so that I try
> to understand?

I had access to such a log (thanks anonym!), and it became clear that
the "standard" task (in tasksel's nomenclature) is not installed when
using the Vagrant build setup, while it is with my own one. This task
installs the packages with priority standard, required or important
(such as microcodes, host, dnsutils and support libraries -- see full
list [1]).

I think we want to ship these packages.

I guess the Vagrant build setup uses live-build 2.0.12-2 from Squeeze.
I'm using 2.0.12+20111008.143807~60squeeze+1 from the (now defunct)
squeeze-snapshot suite, in the live.debian.net APT repo.
One of the changes brought by this version is precisely to install the
"standard" task, when the "standard" packages list (in live-build's
nomenclature) is selected, which is the case for us.

Given the improvements brought by 2.0.12+20111008.143807~60squeeze+1
don't look useful enough, I'm going back to using 2.0.12-2, for
greater consistency between our build setups.

Please review and merge feature/install-tasksel-standard-task into
devel, so that we install the "standard" task consistently and
independently from the live-build 2.x version being used. (I've
verified, based on the current testing branch, with 2.0.12-2, that the
resulting packages list is the very same as the 0.15 one I got when
I built it yesterday with the newer l-b snapshot I was using.
Additionally, the task configured this way are installed exactly at
the same time as the "standard" task automatically pulled by that
snapshot, so impact both on build time and runtime should be null,
modulo whatever I may have missed.)

[1] Full list of additional packages that end up in a Tails image,
    when installing the "standard" task: amd64-microcode,
    deb.torproject.org-keyring, dhcp3-client, dhcp3-common, dnsutils,
    host, intel-microcode, libdb4.6, libgssglue1, libgssrpc4,
    libkadm5clnt-mit7, libkadm5srv-mit7, libkdb5-4, libnfsidmap2,
    librpcsecgss3, libtirpc1, microcode.ctl, tcpd.