Re: [Tails-dev] feature/unsafe_browser_name [Was: Iceweasel …

Autor: anonym
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] feature/unsafe_browser_name [Was: Iceweasel backports experiments]
21/11/12 18:08, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anonym wrote (21 Nov 2012 16:26:25 GMT) :
>> Then it's not a blocker, per the above. I'd like to fix this now any
>> way. What do you think about commit d7c9f9a?
>
> I think it should work, at least with the "top of my head" edge cases.
>
> However, the situation we're trying to solve arose from the fact we
> previously were *not* able to think of enough edge cases.
>
> Therefore, instead of adding more home-made shell trickery, I'd rather
> delegate such work to some existing piece of code that knows its
> locales stuff better than we do, and is maintained by someone else
> than us... but that may be my immoderate taste for bloat and
> additional dependencies, and my well-know lack of trust for any wheel
> reinvented by anyone who did not read the relevant standards first ;)

:)

> So, well, why not do it the DIY way, but then I must say I'd feel much
> more comfortable if someone read how some other good-ol', known
> working library does it, just to be sure it's that easy to get it
> right the second time.

I'm in favour of eventually doing this, but given my successful test
results (see below) I rather delay that to later. I've updated
todo/fix_locales_form_wrong_assumption with what you wrote.

> Also, could be time to implement your Tails shell library idea?
> (Not a blocker, obviously :)

I ended up creating a ticket to track a few things on the top of my head
that could be refactored into it, including proper locale extraction
functions. See todo/Tails_shell_library.

>> I re-merged the branch into experimental if any one wants to test.
>
> I guess you've already tested it against the few edge cases
> I've raised?

You mean like Filipino (Tagalog?) and Furlan? I couldn't test them
specifically cause neither had the Iceweasel language packs installed in
Tails. AFAICT there's none for Filipino (Tagalog?), but there's
iceweasel-l10n-fur-it for Furlan, but we don't install it.

I did test Asturian (iceweasel-l10n-ast), Kashubian
(iceweasel-l10n-csb), Maithili (iceweasel-l10n-mai) and Northern Sotho
(iceweasel-l10n-nso) with success. We also install iceweasel-l10n-son
for Songhai, but it's not available in Tails Greeter.

Cheers!