Re: [Tails-l10n] German translation of /doc/get/trusting_tai…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: Hauke Laging
CC: Tails localization discussion
Asunto: Re: [Tails-l10n] German translation of /doc/get/trusting_tails_signing_key
Hi,

Hauke Laging wrote (16 Nov 2012 12:38:11 GMT) :
> Thus I made the German translation of the page.

Excellent!

> I have to admit that I haven't used that PO editor (this was my
> first translation) but just replaced the text. I hope this does not
> cause any problems.

Well, the thing is that the result is not directly usable: a valid PO
file for our website has the original English in msgid, and the
translation in msgstr. So, we can't just drop your work onto our
website as is. Technically, someone would first have to copy each
translated string and paste it into the relevant field using their PO
editor. This is not very fun a task, so I believe the best way to make
sure your translations are promptly integrated would be to do this
copy'n'paste work yourself.

> I do not know how to change the Wikipedia links to the German Wikipedia. It
> probably makes sense to not just link to WP GnuPG but also to the articles for
> OpenPGP and Web of Trust:

> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GnuPG
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_of_Trust

In the French translation, it's done this way:

msgid ""
"The OpenPGP [[!wikipedia Web_of_Trust desc=\"Web of Trust\"]] is a "
"decentralized trust model based on OpenPGP keys. Let's see that with an "
"example."
msgstr ""
"La [[!wikipedia_fr Toile_de_confiance desc=\"Toile de confiance\"]] OpenPGP "
"est un modèle de confiance décentralisé basé sur les clés OpenPGP. Voyons ça "
"avec un exemple."

Basically, the first argument in the [[!wikipedia]] thing is the name
of the target wikipedia web page, and the desc="" is the text of the
link as it will appear on our website.

> I have not just written relevant parts of those German articles but
> I also have one of the most extensive German OpenPGP/GnuPG
> explanations on my web site. As it makes sense to offer German
> resources on a German translated page I have added a link to
> my page.

I think we should add a placeholder, in the original English text, for
such links. Else, any attempt to add such useful links in the
translations only will be hackish and a pain to maintain on the
long run.

> I have some remarks about the content of the page I translated, too:

Thank you! I guess sajolida will be happy to read this, and take good
care of it :)

To end with, if you intend to go on sharing work with us, may
I suggest you subscribe to the tails-l10n mailing-list?