Re: [Tails-dev] forking Tails documentation pages credit

Autor: adrelanos
Para: tails-dev
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] forking Tails documentation pages credit
Hi!

I've read "How to use GNU licenses for your own software" again. GPLv3
doesn't make much sense for documentation anyway, since it says
"program" and "For interactive programs". Well, I don't have to luxury
of having a more suitable license.

I'll interpret the my wiki page as "interactive program" and the source
of the website as source code.

Having the complete GPLv3 at the top of a website, just because it's a
fork, looks like problematic and overkill to me.

New proposal:

<!--
Copyright:

Copyright (C) Amnesia <amnesia at boum dot org>
Portions Copyright (C) 2012 adrelanos <adrelanos at riseup dot net>

the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the

along with this program; if not, write to:

    Free Software Foundation, Inc.
    51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor
    Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.

On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public
License can be found in the /usr/share/common-licenses' directory.

The complete text of the GNU General Public License can also be found
online on gnu.org <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>, in Whonix
virtual machine images in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3 file or in
Whonix wiki on <https://sourceforge.net/p/whonix/wiki/GPLv3/>.
-->

<!--
The Introduction chapter of this website is forked from the Tails trust
page, from this exact source
<http://git.immerda.ch/?p=amnesia.git;a=blob;f=wiki/src/doc/about/trust.mdwn;hb=d249db72228b498407d85fb762b49ec155871ded>.
-->

[[include ref=WikiHeader]]

[TOC]

# License #
    Whonix Trust wiki page Copyright (C) Amnesia <amnesia at boum dot org>
    Whonix Trust wiki page Portions Copyright (C) 2012 adrelanos
<adrelanos at riseup dot net>

    This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see the
wiki source code.
    under certain conditions; see the wiki source code for details.

# Next header... #

[...]

Attribution and minimal information is directly visible on the website,
a more comprehensive description in the wiki page source (<!-- is a html
comment -->) and the full blown GPLv3 is linked and distributed
everywhere. (dedicated Whonix wiki page, with Whonix source code, with
Whonix images, link to gnu.org)

Is this solution satisfying? Open for suggestions. I just want to get
this done.

intrigeri:
> hi,
>
> adrelanos wrote (10 Nov 2012 13:52:26 GMT) :
>> which is copyrighted by [Tails](https://tails.boum.org/)
>
> I think this is wrong. If we've written this somewhere, please point
> me to it.
>
>> The derived work is copyrighted by
>> [adrelanos](https://github.com/adrelanos/Whonix)
>
> One generally puts email contact information here.

That page contains contact information. Anyway, I removed the whole
sentence.

>> and licensed under
>> the same license GPLv3 or later. (see license below)
>
> Make sure GPL-3 is included bellow, then.

Answered above.

>> <pre>
>> Copyright:
>
>>    Copyright (C) Amnesia <amnesia at boum dot org>

> Makes me realize this lacks copyright years on our side. Sorry.
>
>>    Portions Copyright (C) adrelanos <adrelanos at riseup dot net>

> I suggest making copyright years explicit.

Done.

>> On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public
>> License can be found in the /usr/share/common-licenses' directory.
>
> I'm not sure how useful this sentence is in the context at hand.

Doesn't hurt either and no one can accuse me of removing anything.

>> The complete text of the GNU General Public License can also be
>> found online on <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
>
> ... and should be included with your stuff.

Yes, I remember to read somewhere "source code has to be distributed
over the same mechanism as the binary". (Download binary, download
source code or binary on cd, source code on cd. Not like download
binary, source code only by snail mail after payment.) To fulfill all
cases I am using this sentence now:

"The complete text of the GNU General Public License can also be found
online on gnu.org <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>, in Whonix
virtual machine images in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3 file or in
Whonix wiki on <https://sourceforge.net/p/whonix/wiki/GPLv3/>."

Cheers,
adrelanos