Re: [Tails-dev] Tails: pcmcia / firewire / etc.

Autor: Steve Weis
Para: Maxim Kammerer
CC: tails-dev
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails: pcmcia / firewire / etc.
Hi Maxim. I did not completely power off the system when I tried the test.
I did a warm reset and booted to a USB drive.

I'm not sure about the inconsistency with the debugging-via-ohci1394 docs.
There are two alternative driver stacks (e.g. ieee1394 and firewire-core)
and the docs talk about them both interchangeably. It's a bit confusing.
The CONFIG_FIREWIRE_OHCI_REMOTE_DMA kernel hacking option may only be
relevant to the legacy ohci1394 module.

One thought is that it the sbp2 module might be allowed to circumvent
whatever filtering is happening. Sbp2 enables full DMA access, and I
haven't been able to carry out Firewire DMA attacks via Inception without
it. This message talks about sbp2 having physical DMA, yet being filtered:
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0802.1/0347.html . The
message he's responding to says the new modules make it "a bit harder to
use physical DMA, but not impossible".

Regardless, a fix is to blacklist these modules from loading automatically.
Then users can still opt in to enable Firewire if they need it, but it's
not vulnerable by default. You could add the following lines to
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:
"""
blacklist firewire_core
blacklist firewire_ohci
blacklist firewire_sbp2
"""

Or just disable Firewire in the kernel by disabling CONFIG_FIREWIRE.