Re: [Tails-dev] Bookmarks persistence - help needed

Author: Ague Mill
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Bookmarks persistence - help needed
On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 10:31:16PM +0100, Alessandro Grassi wrote:
> > Instead of using the 'link' option of the persistence framework, how
> > about using another directory, then? This would result in the following
> > approach:
> >
> >  * At build time:
> >    - create an Iceweasel profile,
> >    - create an empty `~/.mozilla/bookmarks` directory,
> >    - remove `places.sqlite` from the Iceweasel profile,
> >    - add a symlink `~/.mozilla/default/places.sqlite` pointing
> >      to `~/.mozilla/bookmarks/places.sqlite`.
> >  * When bookmarks persistence is activated:
> >    - add `~/.mozilla/bookmarks` to the set of persistent directories.

> > Wanna try it?
>
> Looks a little tricky to me, but it works. Let's go this way! ;-)

Great. :)

> All the needed patches are attached:
>
> "0001-generate-iceweasel-profile-at-build-time.patch" and
> "0001-symlink-places.sqlite-for-bookmarks-persistence.patch" are for
> Tails;

This one should also create an empty directory in /etc/skel. Otherwise
the 'bookmarks' directory will not exist when no persistence is used,
resulting in a broken Iceweasel.

What is also needed before we can merge this work is an update to the
design documents and the end-user documentation, see
<https://tails.boum.org/contribute/merge_policy/> for details.
Do you want to carry on your work on this front as well?

Thanks for your contributions!

--
Ague