[Tails-dev] Please review feature/hugetlb_mem_wipe

Author: Ague Mill
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Please review feature/hugetlb_mem_wipe
Hi!

I experimented with yet another approach to improve the situation of our
memory wiping mechanism. Maybe all we needed to fix the current process
was 0f1f476d, but well...

So, here it is, in the `feature/hugetlb_mem_wipe` branch. It keeps a
Linux+initramfs+userland program approach, but it does so with a little
hand-crafted C program.

That piece of software uses mmap and hugetlb and some Linux vm tricks to
wipe as much as possible. And for an added bonus, with a progress bar.

See the commit message for more details.

If have successfully tested that code in a VM with more than 4 GB memory
and it looks like it works. I was not able to properly analyze the
memory with that much bytes, though.

I'll be happy if someone could do so more testing in >= 4 GB conditions
as I am lacking the necessary hardware at the moment. I'd be interested
in knowing how this branch compares with the current state of devel,
both in time and on how much memory is actually overwritten.

Provided a little more feedback, this could go in 0.14. We can always
revert if rc1 proves it deficient.

--
Ague