Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/persistent_…

Autor: anonym
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/persistent_NM_connections [was: tails-persistence-setup releases vs. Tails 0.14]
02/10/12 16:09, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anonym wrote (02 Oct 2012 13:14:58 GMT) :
>> 30/09/12 21:01, intrigeri wrote:
>>> please, anyone who did the 0.18 release of tails-persistence-setup,
>>> push your pristine-tar branch.
>
>> I followed the instructions in
>> contribute/release_process/persistence-setup, and that branch wasn't
>> modified (i.e. it's still at commit 0bc2057).
>
> Looks like you have pristine-tar disabled in your gbp configuration.
> That's probably the default. I've just added "pristine-tar = True" to
> debian/gbp.conf in the debian branch, so that won't happen anymore,
> regardless of individual's configuration.
>
>> How can I fix this?
>
> I would try re-doing the git-import-orig, with the --no-merge option.
> Some steps are likely to fail, because they were run already. Then,
> I would reset --hard the upstream and debian branches to their
> previous state (the current one, as of when I'm writing), and then
> push the pristine-tar branch updated with the missing orig
> tarball delta.

Thanks! It's pushed now.

>> todo/persistence_preset_-_NM_connections has been implemented in
>> feature/persistent_NM_connections. IMHO it's now in a good enough
>> shape to be shipped in Tails 0.14, but there are some issues (see
>> todo page):
>
> Great! I hope it makes it into 0.14.
>
>> If the rest of you agree that all is good now, please review and merge
>> this branch into devel so it can be included in Tails 0.14.
>
> Some notes from a (too quick) static review follow.
> I'll test that code once it is merged into experimental.

Sorry, I just forgot to push my experimental.

>> +            name        => $self->encoding->decode(gettext(q{NetworkManager connections})),
>> +            description => $self->encoding->decode(gettext(
>> +                q{Network connections}
>> +            )),

> I'm not sure end-users know what NetworkManager is, and/or want to
> learn about its name. I suggest:
>
>   * name = "Network Connections"
>     (Which uses title capitalization, like other existing presets.)
>   * description = "Configuration of network devices and connections"
>     (All credits due to the NM applet About dialog text.)

> What do you think?

I definitely agree that this description is better. About the name, we
have the "Networking with NetworkManager" section in our docs, and it
even says that "[T]he name is quite self-explanatory" :). But I don't
really care, so I made it your way (commit 2dd6ed5 in
tails/persistence-setup).

Is this something that will require releasing 0.19 right away and
importing it in feature/persistent_NM_connections before merging it into
devel? Or can the rephrasing just live in git and be released as t-p-s
0.19 during the Tails 0.14 freeze when the translations has been done?
That way we may be able to avoid having to bump to 0.20 (=> less binary
pollution in our git repo). Even if that wouldn't happen I don't think
the current name and description are much of a blocker.

> Also, any thoughts about how we'll handle the migration to dconf when
> Tails is based on Wheezy? (Not a blocker, I think, but still.)

I just had a look at this in a Wheezy install, and `dconf dump /` didn't
reveal any NM settings. It turns out that dconf isn't used, and that all
NM connections are saved as individual files in
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections instead. I tried writing a new
connection file there by hand, and it immediately appeared in nm-applet,
so there seems to be no extra magic required. Great! Hence the
transition seems to be trivial.

Cheers!