Re: [Tails-dev] Next release: process, schedule and icewease…

Autor: anonym
Para: The Tails public development discussion list
Asunto: Re: [Tails-dev] Next release: process, schedule and iceweasel backports
24/09/12 23:11, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> whoever is the Release Manager for the current release cycle: please
> announce the freeze / RC / etc. dates ASAP. If I'm not mistaken, and
> if we don't change the release schedule this time, we're supposed to
> freeze in *one* week. But well, this is subject to change.

Indeed. Looking at my own schedule I saw that this is the case, which I
must say took me a bit my surprise given how recently we released 0.13...

> I think we're supposed to release on week 43, but... how do we deal,
> next time, with an unpredictable iceweasel backports schedule?
>
> I'm happy to focus on our APT repository for the next cycle, and it
> looks like bertagaz is making great progress on the "build our own
> iceweasel" front, but still, I'd rather not see us assume we'll be
> autonomous in this area in time for the current release cycle.
>
> So, for the current cycle, I suggest we patch our draft release
> schedule from the theoretical:
>
> /       3w        \/   2w     /2|5d\
> major             freeze      firefox
> release           RC1         ESR
> |                 |           |
> |                 |           | RC2 release
> |                 |           | |   |
> ↓                 ↓           ↓ ↓   ↓
> ._____._____._____._____._____._____.
> 0     1     2     3     4     5     6

> To the more realistic:
>
> /       3w        \/   2w     /2|5d\
> major             freeze      ESR
> release           RC1         backport is available
> |                 |           |
> |                 firefox     |
> |                 ESR is out  |
> |                 |           |
> |                 |           | RC2 release
> |                 |           | |   |
> ↓                 ↓           ↓ ↓   ↓
> ._____._____._____._____._____._____.
> 0     1     2     3     4     5     6

> ??
>
> (This implies releasing two weeks later than planned, that is week 45.
> Also, this assumes the backport is available two weeks after ESR is
> released. Yeah, that's way too late, but we'll soon be able to
> do better.)

Unless we can get some sort of promise from Mike Hommey that the next
Iceweasel ESR will be backported earlier than previously, your proposal
indeed seems unavoidable.

> To end with, given the amount of nice stuff we're currently merging
> into devel, I'd be sad to see this wait until December before being
> shipped to users, and I'm starting to wonder if we should not make the
> next release a major one. That could be Tails 0.14. How crazy does
> that sound?

Not crazy at all. The release cycle/schedule we decided on was a
failure, so I see no reason to stick with it. Well, "failure" is a bit
hard, but let's say "premature"; once we have our infrastructure ready
so we don't have to depend on external parties' timely packaging I think
it'll be great to return back to.

*If* we indeed choose to do this I suppose that would push the Tails
0.14 freeze date to the next Firefox ESR release date, which is October
9th (essentially two weeks from now), so:

October 9th: 0.14 freeze + release of RC1.
October 23th: ESR backport is (hopefully) available.
October 25th: release of RC2.
October 30th: release of 0.14.

Cheers!