[Tails-dev] Next release: process, schedule and iceweasel ba…

Autor: intrigeri
Para: tails-dev
Asunto: [Tails-dev] Next release: process, schedule and iceweasel backports
Hi,

whoever is the Release Manager for the current release cycle: please
announce the freeze / RC / etc. dates ASAP. If I'm not mistaken, and
if we don't change the release schedule this time, we're supposed to
freeze in *one* week. But well, this is subject to change.

I think we're supposed to release on week 43, but... how do we deal,
next time, with an unpredictable iceweasel backports schedule?

I'm happy to focus on our APT repository for the next cycle, and it
looks like bertagaz is making great progress on the "build our own
iceweasel" front, but still, I'd rather not see us assume we'll be
autonomous in this area in time for the current release cycle.

So, for the current cycle, I suggest we patch our draft release
schedule from the theoretical:

/       3w        \/   2w     /2|5d\
major             freeze      firefox
release           RC1         ESR

|                 |           |
|                 |           | RC2 release
|                 |           | |   |

↓                 ↓           ↓ ↓   ↓
._____._____._____._____._____._____.
0     1     2     3     4     5     6

To the more realistic:

/       3w        \/   2w     /2|5d\
major             freeze      ESR
release           RC1         backport is available

|                 |           |
|                 firefox     |
|                 ESR is out  |
|                 |           |
|                 |           | RC2 release
|                 |           | |   |

↓                 ↓           ↓ ↓   ↓
._____._____._____._____._____._____.
0     1     2     3     4     5     6

??

(This implies releasing two weeks later than planned, that is week 45.
Also, this assumes the backport is available two weeks after ESR is
released. Yeah, that's way too late, but we'll soon be able to
do better.)

To end with, given the amount of nice stuff we're currently merging
into devel, I'd be sad to see this wait until December before being
shipped to users, and I'm starting to wonder if we should not make the
next release a major one. That could be Tails 0.14. How crazy does
that sound?