Re: [Tails-l10n] translating po files in right-to-left langu…

Author: intrigeri
To: Alayna Ruberg
CC: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] translating po files in right-to-left languages
Hi,

Meta: I'm Cc'ing you this time because I don't know if you read this
list, but tell us once you're subscribed, so that I can stop doing so
and save all of us some time.

Alayna Ruberg wrote (02 Aug 2012 19:47:58 GMT) :
> My team is working on translating po files for the liveusb-creator,
> tails-persistence-setup, and tails-greeter in Arabic and Farsi.

This is awesome!

> Many of the English phrases contain what look like tags for strings,
> eg. %s, %(device)s, %(message)s. Do these tags need to be left
> as is?

Yes, they should be left as is.

> And on a related note, does the interface read translated strings
> left-to-right for every language? Or does the orientation change for
> right-to-left languages like Arabic?

Frankly, I've no idea, but I expect the libraries we use to Do The
Right Thing™ by default. We should try and confirm with the first set
of patches, I guess.

> PoEdit is having some difficulty preserving these strings when
> dealing with the right-to-left orientation of Arabic - has anyone
> else encountered this problem, and if so, do you have any solutions?

No idea. I suggest checking the Debian [0] and upstream bug trackers
to see if something similar was reported, and if not, to file bugs
there to explain exactly what is happening.